Jackass 3D predictably went to top spot, earning $1.4m more than The Social Network – which in its second week has still performed strongly. The only other new entry is arguably a slight surprise – Bollywood comedy Golmaal 3 made just under $185,000 on 18 screens. Proof there’s lack of a link between Australians and their own cinema – The Loved Ones came in 12th with just $119,848 on 89 screens.
The rest of the top ten remained pretty stable with Red performing well. New George Clooney film The American should fare well, along with British comedy Wild Target. Along with Robert Rodriguez’s Machete and war film The Messenger, these are the films aiming to get a head start ahead of the steamroller that is Harry Potter.Australian Weekend Box Office: November 4-7
1. JACKASS 3D, PARAMOUNT, $3,582,884
2. THE SOCIAL NETWORK, SONY PICTURES, $2,170,710
3. RED, ICON, $1,482,035
4. LIFE AS WE KNOW IT, ROADSHOW, $943,687
5. PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 2, PARAMOUNT, $730,934
6. THE TOWN, WARNER BROS, $601,137
7. SAW VII 3D, HOYTS, $469,320
8. EAT PRAY LOVE, SONY PICTURES, $459,804
9. MADE IN DAGENHAM, PARAMOUNT/TRANSMISSION, $229,754
10. GOLMAAL 3, EROS AUSTRALIA, $184,610
Follow the author Katina Vangopoulos on Twitter.