Plenty of new entries dominated this week, with four films placing in the top five. Animation Rio landed on top with almost $3 million ahead of nationwide school holidays, while other youth-targeted films Hop and Justin Bieber: Never Say Never made upwards of $1 million each. Zack Snyder’s Sucker Punch had the best screen average ($7000 p/screen) to come in second spot. The rest of the top ten only had minor swap-arounds.
The kids get more fare this week with Disney animation Mars Needs Mums and Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2. The Scream franchise gets a reboot with the release of film number four, while the dynamics of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost come together in alien comedy Paul and English drama is served by Brighton Rock.
AUSTRALIAN WEEKEND BOX OFFICE RESULTS
Film Title, Distributor, Box Office ($)
1. RIO, FOX, 2,291,050
2. SUCKER PUNCH, WARNER BROS, 1,730,118
3. JUST GO WITH IT, SONY PICTURES, 1,634,459
4. HOP, UNIVERSAL, 1,475,301
5. JUSTIN BIEBER: NEVER SAY NEVER, PARAMOUNT, 1,218,282
6. THE LINCOLN LAWYER, ROADSHOW, 904,269
7. LIMITLESS, ROADSHOW, 632,037
8. RED RIDING HOOD, WARNER BROS, 509,250
9. RANGO, PARAMOUNT, 297,165
10. BATTLE: LOS ANGELES, SONY PICTURES, 188,007
Follow the author Katina Vangopoulos on Twitter.