Spanish drama Biutiful did extremely well with an average of $7300 over just eleven screens, but it was Red Riding Hood that came up trumps with takings of $1.74 million. Jason Statham’s remake of the Charles Bronson action film The Mechanic only took a third of that amount to land in fifth spot for its first week. Other new release Barney’s Version rounded up the top 10 with almost $231,000.
A drama-themed week of new releases sees distribution of Best Foreign Oscar winner In A Better World and French film Heartbeats. The much-hyped Never Let Me Go with Carey Mulligan and Keira Knightley should do well in limited release, but the big earners will be Jennifer Aniston/Adam Sandler romcom Just Go With It and Matthew McConaughey in a shirt with The Lincoln Lawyer. 1987 Australian ANZAC film The Lighthorsemen will have a limited re-release ahead of April 25.
AUSTRALIAN WEEKEND BOX OFFICE RESULTS
Film Title, Distributor, Box Office ($)
1. RED RIDING HOOD, WARNER BROS, 1,743,528
2. RANGO, PARAMOUNT, 1,547,828
3. LIMITLESS, ROADSHOW, 1,318,909
4. BATTLE: LOS ANGELES, SONY PICTURES, 1,109,035
5. THE MECHANIC, ROADSHOW, 648,016
6. HALL PASS, WARNER BROS, 622,823
7. THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU, UNIVERSAL, 556,032
8. THE KING’S SPEECH, PARAMOUNT/TRANSMISSION, 391,340
9. GNOMEO AND JULIET, WALT DISNEY, 245,974
10. BARNEY’S VERSION, HOPSCOTCH, 230,896