Black Swan has held on for similar takings to last week, paying dividends as it claims top spot with $2.1million. New Coen brothers’ film True Grit wasn’t far behind on $1.94million, a good result for an Australia Day opening. The other new release, the James L. Brooks rom-com How Do You Know, didn’t fare as well – but fewer screens makes a notable difference.
Of the rest, The King’s Speech is still a fighter six weeks into its release, while Yogi Bear and Tangled had a (probable) last big run before the start of school, still hanging around the top-five. Thursday sees the release of Russell Crowe’s latest The Next Three Days, Dwanye Johnson’s revenge flick Faster, Australian cave-diving thriller Sanctum 3D and the English sex romp Tamara Drewe.
AUSTRALIAN WEEKEND BOX OFFICE RESULTS: 27-30 JANUARY 2011
Film Title, Distributor, Box Office ($)
1. BLACK SWAN, FOX, 2,120,055
2. TRUE GRIT, PARAMOUNT, 1,948,743
3. THE GREEN HORNET, SONY PICTURES, 1,881,441
4. THE KING’S SPEECH, PARAMOUNT/TRANSMISSION, 1,678,969
5. YOGI BEAR, WARNER BROS, 1,669,613
6. TANGLED, WALT DISNEY, 1,404,268
7. THE FIGHTER, ROADSHOW, 1,112,820
8. HOW DO YOU KNOW, SONY PICTURES, 969,492
9. BURLESQUE, SONY PICTURES, 877,539
10. THE DILEMMA, UNIVERSAL, 309,645