Rango, the first animated feature from VFX Studio ILM, had a strong opening weekend in Australia with takings of $2.7 million – impressive during the middle of school term — while the only other new release to make the top 10 was the Anthony Hopkins horror The Rite with meager takings of $409,000. The Natalie Portman ballet thriller Black Swan re-entered the top 10 while major Oscar winner The King’s Speech took under $1 million for the first time in twelve weeks of release. The rest of the top 10 stayed steady.
Six new releases brings a big Thursday with the Aaron Eckhart actioner Battle: Los Angeles and Bradley Cooper thriller Limitless. Australian films are well represented with musical comedy A Heartbeat Away and Ryan Kwanten as a superhero wannabe in Griff The Invisible.
AUSTRALIAN WEEKEND BOX OFFICE RESULTS
Film Title, Distributor, Box Office ($)
1. RANGO, PARAMOUNT, 2,709,558
2. HALL PASS, WARNER BROS, 1,461,969
3. THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU, UNIVERSAL, 1,404,600
4. I AM NUMBER FOUR, WALT DISNEY, 764,517
5. THE KING’S SPEECH, PARAMOUNT/TRANSMISSION, 744,688
6. GNOMEO AND JULIET, WALT DISNEY, 556,838
7. THE RITE, WARNER BROS, 409,140
8. UNKNOWN, WARNER BROS, 402,480
9. THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET’S NEST, RIALTO, 354,130
10. BLACK SWAN, FOX, 244,364