To no one’s surprise, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 took its cake and ate it well. With earnings of almost $15.3M it holds the second-highest opening weekend in Australia ever (after Twilight: New Moon) and the sixth-highest over in the States. The rest of the top 10 stayed pretty steady position and earning-wise.
There’s a big line of releases this week even in the wake of Potter-mania. With Robert Downey Jr/Zach Galifianakis comedy Due Date and Aussie western/horror Red Hill among them, CIA true story Fair Game should be well received for those wanting a more serious plot. It is highly unlikely, however, any new releases will dethrone the boy wizard in its second week.
Weekend Box office: 18-21 November, 2010
#. Film Title, Distributor, Box Office Takings
1. HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 1, WARNER BROS, $15,293,557
2. JACKASS 3D, PARAMOUNT, $966,202
3. THE SOCIAL NETWORK, SONY PICTURES, $830,179
4. RED, ICON, $702,140
5. SKYLINE, HOPSCOTCH, $447,544
6. LIFE AS WE KNOW IT, ROADSHOW, $339,071
7. WILD TARGET, ICON, $336,318
8. THE AMERICAN, UNIVERSAL, $241,691
9. PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 2, PARAMOUNT, $154,265
10. THE TOWN, WARNER BROS, $152,386
Sources: MPDAA, Urban Cinefile