Big release Green Lantern only just scraped into top spot this week, with Rise of the Planet of the Apes performing very strongly in its second week of release. Both with figures over three million, next in line was Australian film Red Dog, doing well amongst the superhero/fantasy dominance with almost $1.9 million. Glee Live 3D Concert Movie, in a two-week release, Senna and the latest Jane Eyre film adaptation with Australian Mia Wasikowska were other debutantes into the top 10.
The hero/fantasy theme of August continues with releases of remake Conan the Barbarian and Cowboys and Aliens. The mix of the seven releases also includes journalism documentary Page One: a year inside the New York Times, Justin Timberlake/Mila Kunis rom-com Friends With Benefits and Wim Wenders’ latest Pina – a homage to late German choreographer Pina Bausch.
AUSTRALIAN WEEKEND BOX OFFICE RESULTS
Film Title, Distributor, Box Office ($)
1. Green Lantern, WARNER BROS, 3,042,282
2. Rise of the Planet of the Apes, FOX, 3,009,705
3. Red Dog, ROADSHOW, 1,888,212
4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, WARNER BROS, 1,290,573
5. GLEE LIVE 3D CONCERT MOVIE, FOX, 970,388
6. Captain America: The First Avenger, PARAMOUNT, 939,261
7. JANE EYRE, UNIVERSAL, 814,132
8. Bad Teacher, SONY PICTURES, 575,559
9. SENNA, UNIVERSAL, 325,319
10. Bridesmaids, UNIVERSAL, 221,029