Moneyball claimed top honours on debut with takings of $1.3 million, knocking In Time off after two weeks. The rest of the top five remained steady in their positions, while other debuts Shark Night 3D and The Debt shook up the bottom half even though neither made over $400,000.
An interesting selection of films for general and limited release this week, but The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 will blow most of the top ten out of the water. Moneyball could be the only film to cause any threat in its first week. Burning Man with Matthew Goode (Watchmen) and documentary The Tall Man have received praise as welcome strength for Australian cinema, while Tilda Swinton’s Cannes-screened We Need To Talk About Kevin is another well-received release.
AUSTRALIAN WEEKEND BOX OFFICE RESULTS
Film Title, Distributor, Box Office ($)
1. Moneyball, SONY PICTURES, 1,308,408
2. In Time, FOX, 1,152,147
3. I Don’t Know How She Does It, ROADSHOW, 647,429
4. Midnight in Paris, eOne/HOPSCOTCH, 646,662
5. Paranormal Activity 3, PARAMOUNT, 432,997
6. Shark Night 3D, ICON, 394,466
7. Contagion, WARNER BROS, 345,589
8. The Debt, UNIVERSAL, 317,872
9. Drive, PINNACLE FILMS, 286,630
10. Warrior, ROADSHOW, 252,913