Although Harry Potter’s takings dropped by half in its third week, it still managed to cracked the difficult $30million mark in total receipts. In its second week, Due Date remained the boy wizard‘s only competition, even though its takings of $1.79m is a third of Potter’s. Dreamworks offering Megamind has posted a strong preview weekend, coming in third. It should pick up momentum as the school holidays fast approach.
The other new release to enter the top-ten was Devil, fourth on $487,000. Next week, both Megamind and the latest Narnia film should open to big audiences and battle for top spot. It’s time for the kid invasion, so expect these films along with Potter to be hot sellers.
AUSTRALIAN WEEKEND BOX OFFICE RESULTS: 2-5 December 2010
Film Title, Distributor, Box Office ($)
1. HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 1, WARNER BROS, 3,366,604
2. DUE DATE, WARNER BROS, 1,791,147
3. MEGAMIND, PARAMOUNT, 797,182
4. DEVIL, UNIVERSAL, 487,541
5. FAIR GAME, HOYTS, 472,546
6. THE SOCIAL NETWORK, SONY PICTURES, 301,519
7. JACKASS 3D, PARAMOUNT, 247,133
8. THE LAST EXORCISM, HOPSCOTCH, 234,428
9. RED, ICON, 166,044
10. RED HILL, SONY PICTURES, 64,553
Follow the author Katina Vangopoulos on Twitter.