Surprising no one, Tron: Legacy jumped to top spot in its first weekend with a box office total of $3.35m, beating other new release Love & Other Drugs and sending Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader and Harry Potter down the list to fourth and fifth respectively. While the top five all pulled over $1.2m (strength of school holidays), The King’s Speech still made an early entrance based on its advance weekend takings with almost $500,000.
It’s the silly season, meaning we expect nothing less than the big releases. The French drama Sarah’s Key is given a head start with the typical Thursday release, but Boxing Day will see six new films come out, including the Jack Black family comedy Gulliver’s Travels, DeNiro/Stiller’s adult comedy Little Fockers and Depp/Jolie’s romantic thriller The Tourist. None hold the pulling power of Lord of the Rings, a former Boxing Day release, but the aforementioned three should perform strong.
AUSTRALIAN WEEKEND BOX OFFICE RESULTS: 9-12 December 2010
Film Title, Distributor, Box Office ($)
1. TRON: LEGACY, WALT DISNEY, 3,357,645
2. MEGAMIND, PARAMOUNT, 2,031,675
3. LOVE & OTHER DRUGS, FOX, 1,927,325
4. THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER, FOX, 1,281,194
5. HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 1, WARNER BROS, 1,280,372
6. DUE DATE, WARNER BROS, 715,403
7. THE KING’S SPEECH, PARAMOUNT/TRANSMISSION, 459,217
8. DEVIL, UNIVERSAL, 155,071
9. THE SOCIAL NETWORK, SONY PICTURES, 141,255
10. FAIR GAME, HOYTS, 131,583
Follow the author Katina Vangopoulos on Twitter.